What do I do with Deckhand once I have downloaded it and purchased the GARFO eVTR module?
Take it fishing! Deckhand is unique in that it “fishes with you.” You can tally individual hauls, tows, traps, strings, as you go; or, you can wait to input any data until you wish to submit the eVTR. Whether you want to interact with it a lot or hardly at all, Deckhand adjusts to the way you fish and want to work.
What do I need to use Deckhand?
An Apple ID account, GARFO credentials, and an iPad (WiFi + Cellular).
How do I set up my account?
1. Download the Deckhand app
You can find Deckhand in the App Store on your iPad. You will need to search for it using the search box, and then tap the “GET” button to install it on your iPad before proceeding. Once you install Deckhand, it should appear in one of your iPad Home Screen, tap on it to launch. Deckhand is ready to use with some sample fishing methods, but since you’re a GARFO user, you will want to immediately set up the GARFO reporting capability.
2. Set up a GARFO user account
To do this, you will need to have your GARFO-provided username and password to link Deckhand to your GARFO license. If you do not have this, this page [https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/new-england-mid-atlantic/resources-fishing/how-create-account-fish-online-and-link-vessel] on the GARFO site explains how to get one.
3. Set up an account with our MyDeckhand service
Fishbank is where your Deckhand account is managed and is the service that is responsible for securely transmitting your fishing reports through to GARFO. To set this up:
- Make sure Deckhand is running, then tap “User Preferences” and select “Log in / Create Account”.
- You will be prompted for an existing Fishbank account, but notice the “Create New Account” at the bottom. Tap that, and enter your chosen email and password.
- You will get an email to confirm your account, so you will need to go to your email program, confirm your account, and return by tapping on Deckhand.
4. Once you have your Fishbank and GARFO credentials in-hand, you can purchase the GARFO reporting product and go fishing immediately:
- Make sure Deckhand is running then tap “User Preferences” again. This time select the Deckhand Store.
- In the store, you will see a choice of the GARFO reporting product available for either a 1-month or 3-month renewable subscription option. Select the option you need.
- At this point, you will be asked to enter your GARFO username and password to link your GARFO license to Deckhand.
- When you have completed the above, you will receive the payment prompt to complete your purchase.
- Once payment is made, tap the close button to return to the “Go Fishing” page. Now, in the upper right, in small grey text, you should see the title “GARFO” and a version number, confirming you are now ready to go fishing.
Using Deckhand Demos