- Download the App
You’ll find Deckhand Pro in the App Store on your iPad. You’ll need to search for it using the search box, and then click the “GET” button to install it on your iPad before proceeding. Once you install Deckhand Pro, it should appear on your iPad Home Screen, click on it to launch. Deckhand is ready to use with some sample fishing methods, but since you’re a GARFO user, you’ll want to immediately set up the GARFO reporting capability.
- Set up a GARFO user account
To do this, you’ll need to have your GARFO-provided username and password to link Deckhand to your GARFO license. If you don’t have this, this page [https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/new-england-mid-atlantic/resources-fishing/how-create-account-fish-online-and-link-vessel] on the GARFO site explains how to get one.
- Set up an account with our Fishbank service
Fishbank is where your Deckhand account is managed and is the service that is responsible for securely transmitting your fishing reports through to GARFO. To set this up:
- Make sure Deckhand is running, then click “User Preferences” and select “Log in / Create Account”.
- You’ll be prompted for an existing Fishbank account, but notice the “Create New Account” at the bottom. Click that, and enter your chosen email and password.
- You’ll get an email to confirm your account, so you’ll need to go to your email program, confirm your account, and return by clicking on Deckhand.
- Once you have your Fishbank and GARFO credentials in-hand, you can purchase the GARFO reporting product and go fishing immediately:
- Make sure Deckhand is running then click “User Preferences” again. This time select the Deckhand Store.
- In the store, you’ll see a choice of the GARFO reporting product available for either a 1-month or 3-month renewable subscription option. Select the option you need.
- At this point, you’ll be asked to enter your GARFO username and password to link your GARFO license to Deckhand.
- When you complete the above, you’ll receive the normal Apple payment prompts to complete your purchase.
- Once complete, just click the close button to return to the “Go Fishing” page. Now, in the upper right, in small grey text, you should see the title “GARFO” and a version number, confirming you’re now ready to go fishing.